Wednesday, January 4, 2012

We're back!

Happy New Year to everyone!  Hopefully your holiday was as wonderful as ours.  Monstro suddenly developed a mega-interest in Lego in the weeks leading up to Christmas.  I'm not sure where it came from but I am so very happy that it's arrived!  We've tried to encourage him to play more Lego (and Trio and K'Nex) but he's not been in to it.  Now?  He's a Lego Maniac if you will!

I wanted to do something special for the New Year and his heading back to school.  Initially, I was thinking of doing something with fireworks for New Year's Eve but then I decided I wanted something a little more.... personal.  So Legos it is!


I chilled our small thermos in the freezer overnight so it would keep the cottage cheese cold.  I put in TONS of freshly cracked pepper because that's how he loves it.  I used my alphabet cutters to cut out the word "LEGO" in red pepper to go on top of the cottage cheese.  Apparently, by the time Monstro ate it no longer said any sort of word and some of the letters had capsized and sunk. 

I cut bread into a rectangle and then used the scraps and a bottle cap to cut the nubs.  I cut the meat for the sandwich (salami, smoked turkey and brown sugar ham) using the bread as a template and layered it together before "gluing" the dots on with mayo.  When I was done I wrapped it really tightly in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.  That helped set the dots to the sandwich and kept the layers together.  I sliced apples into Lego brick sized pieces and used the extra to punch out dots.  The apples are Duplos of course!  I also cut 2 tiny carrot bricks and 2 square cheddar cheese bricks.  I used a straw to pop out nubs for those - as you can see, the cheese ones didn't stay very well!  I used honey to "glue" on the carrot nubs.  Then there's some broccoli as space and tummy filler. 

The lunch was a big hit.  When I got it all assembled in the morning I made sure to show Monstro in case it didn't make it until lunch time (it did except the letters and the cheese).  He was really excited and started planning how I could cut holes in another sandwich so he could really build with them!  Too cute! :D

1 comment:

  1. Love the Lego theme, and how you made the bricks so creatively!

    ReplyDelete