Monday, January 9, 2012

Mom lunch roundup

I've had some pretty tasty lunches in the last week.  Most Mom lunches end up on Peppermilk's facebook but I had so many to post this week I thought I'd put a few in each place.

I have been craving my brother's Caesar dressing but he won't part with the recipe.  So, I broke my rule against corn syrup-containing dressings and bought a bottle of Cardini's Caesar.  It was no bueno!  I doctored it up with a few extra anchovies, some salt and pepper and LOTS of fresh garlic.  That made it good enough to take a big salad to carry the dressing.  This salad is a bed of baby spinach, carrots, avocado, loads of fresh black pepper and apple.  I tucked in a little apple with a bear cut out that was left from one of Monstro's lunches for added cute factor!


One day Monstro decided he wanted to make my lunch for me.  I love when he does things like that because it's super sweet AND I'd do anything to get that kid in the kitchen!  He made me a "triple-double-griller."  It was club style with extra sharp white cheddar, black forest turkey, brown sugar ham, a mountain of spinach, spicy mustard and a slice of salami - topped, of course, with an "olive" on a toothpick (really just a green gem pick from our collection).  I also tucked in a couple of carrots that had been shaved for salad and abandoned in the fridge.  I have to admit that it was one of the best sandwiches I've had in a while!  The kid is good at what he does! 






The last lunch of the week was also quite a treat.  Since I made my own kimchee it'll get used obsessively in lunches.  This one has brown rice left over from last night's sushi-making spree.  I love the way brown rice tastes after sitting on "warm" over night.  Have you ever tried it?  It gets so nutty and delicious.  I topped the rice with a heaping serving of turnip green kimchee and a little green onion knot.  On the side are some cucumber curls (also left over from sushi night) that I chopped up and mixed in while I was eating.  In the top tier I have a rather large Magic Bar.  I'm taking a cue from Monstro and including dessert every day!


I convinced a co-worker to try the kimchee.  I didn't think there were people who lived in this town who hadn't tried nearly every ethnic food there is to try!  He liked it... maybe I'll give kimchee as Christmas gifts next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment